To the Next Level

I made it to the Top 8 of last sunday’s PPTQ in Jet Ski Café and achieved number #1 standing for the swiss. Wow, definitely my biggest achievement yet in the swiss portion of a tournament. Even better is that I did it while wearing Two Stompas’ T-Shirt, finally breaking the curse of always doing poorly while wearing that shirt.

Even better better is that the format was Sealed and I used to hate Sealed because I believed it to be luck-based where players with strong pool will trump over players with weak pool. As it turns out, my pool was mostly 7.5/10, but with the help of Olivier Ruel’s articles, I managed to build a deck that 4-0-1 the tournament. I have faith in Sealed once more and I can’t wait to go into another Sealed tournament now.


Now come to the bad part, I drafted a subpar U/R Rise from the Tides in the Top 8. While I probably have played in a hundred draft games, I’ve never done it competitively. The way the judge telling me when to start and to draft really gave me unnecessary pressure in picking the right card. I always have a hard time doing something under pressure which makes me always bad at doing anything for the first time. However, if I can get used to it then I can find a way to diminish the pressure. First step is by pretending to draft competitively in Friday Night Magic.

And even worse, I forgot to register one card in my list and got randomly deck-checked which turns into a game loss. With a subpar deck that I have, it’s a lot of pressure that I have to fight and I made a lot of misplay in the game with Fandy. Eventually I lose but that’s alright. I’ve finally reached the stage where I can feel confident to Top 8 almost each PPTQ I will be playing and I believed I will be back in the RPTQ in no time. This time, it won’t be a fluke and I will be well prepared to reach the Pro Tour. Just watch me.



Comments

Popular Posts