Towers Turbo in Shadow Tournament

Today was a blast, my deck did very well, just like I expected it to be. I played a Qliphort variant I'd like to call Towers Turbo, as this deck is fully dedicated to consistently summon Apoqliphort Towers in first turn. Here is the deck I used


Now I'd love to explain how this deck works but I'm too damn worn out after playing 8 matches today so I'll skip it for today. But don't worry because I'm gonna make a post that will comprehensively explain the deck. So without further ado, here is the result of my performance in Shadow Tournament today:

2-0 vs Yosenju
2-0 vs Burning Abyss
2-1 vs Qliphort
2-0 vs Yosenju
2-0 vs Yosenju
1-2 vs Nekroz
1-2 vs Nekroz

5-2, 8th Place

Top 32: 1-2 vs Sattelarknight

The matchup against Yosenju and Burning Abyss is significantly favoring me as they don't have easy way to deal with Towers. Yosenju needs to get 2 Tsujik, one in hand and one in field to boost their monster's ATK by 2000. Burning Abyss needs to get Astral RUM or Magnum Shield which is not searchable. Luckily, I met 3 Yosenju today which all fall prey to Towers.

The mirror match is a bit ugly as they can just tribute summon disk, pump it up with scale 1 and beat Towers down. My deck's only edge in mirror is its capability to OTK faster than the opponent since my deck can have a hand with a full of 5 Qliphort monster that can easily OTK them, while my opponent with his mainstream Qliphort variant has an edge in his better defensive cards. Unfortunately, without Scout, I was having a hard time dealing with their backrows.

Luckily, my opponent made a mistake by playing Storm to deal with my backrows which one of them happened to be Mirror Force. What he doesn't know is that I actually set 2 Enemy Controller that is chained to tap 2 of his monsters, preventing him from OTK-ing me. With his backrows cleaned by his own Storm and my topdeck Scout, there is no way he can fight me back. Lesson learned, Storm is a double-edge sword that should only be used when your front row is empty.

Matchup against Nekroz is the worst and I believe that the same is also true for any non-Nekroz deck. The deck is just so versatile, having an abundant of choice, backed with so many searchers that makes it almost impossible to get unplayable hand. Naturally, they can beat down my first turn Towers very easily with Decisive Armor which can still be followed by Trishula or Djinn-lock play. It is almost better to play second if you know that your opponent play Nekroz. Problem is, my main deck doesn't have any way to remove Djinn-lock. This is a very tricky situation that begs answer.

So far, my best strategy to beat Nekroz is to summon Towers first turn, hoping they don't have Emptiness or Djinn-lock play so I can summon the second Towers next turn and hope to win (ya I know there are a lot of hope word used there, but that's how hopeless the situation is). Then losing in game 2. Then side-in every monster removal and choose to play second to OTK them. That plan is actually worked and I actually managed to summon 2 Towers in first game, which is crazy. However, I'm probably played too long in game 2 which led me to get time out'd in game 3, losing a game that was still winnable.

My Top 32 match is against Sattelarknight and I actually draw perfectly. In both game 1 and game 3 I managed to make first turn Towers play. But again, I probably played too long in game 2 which makes me lose in game 3 due to time out, losing a game that was still winnable (again).

Overall, I'm satisfied with my deck's performance. I believe that the deck can still be improved but what is important is myself. I need to improve in terms of to deciding when to scoop and when to persist. This is very important, especially in Indonesia where the universally accepted rule is that the player with higher life point when the time has up is to be the winner of the match.

I know I can criticize how this rule is so abusable (I have seen way too many cases where people intentionally slow-playing to wait until the time is up and steal the win), but this rule has been used ever since I played Yugioh back in 2009. I don't know when our small Yugioh community will learn to understand that it is more fair to give draw when the time is up since it forces both players to be responsible with their time. I wonder, though.

But I hate thinking too hard and I just want to win. So I guess next time if I know I can't win I will scoop. I will play as fast as possible so I can went out to bum some smoke and return to the next match relaxed.

Comments

Popular Posts