First FNM Draft Experience

I had my first drafting in Magic last Friday. It was a blast. I haven't had that much fun playing card game in a long time. The community in Two Stompas is also contribute as the fun factor. All of the people I met there were very nice and they welcome a newbie like me really well. And surprisingly, I met with an old friend from Semarang, Mas Malik, who used to play Yugioh but now working on Two Stompas. I believe he's already a pretty capable Magic player now.

As a first-timer in drafting, I really don't know what to do. I'm only reading a slice of article from some Magic blog about the BREAD theory. How you always have to pick a Bomb, a Removal, and I forgot the rest. However, I had a really hard time identifying which card is a bomb. So I only pick some removal who turned out to be not so great, like Neutralize. Most importantly, I don't know which card is Rare. It's really different with Yugioh when you know that rare card is usually the holo one. Only after being told by Paman Andre that I know holo in Magic doesn't always mean a rare card.

So after opening 3 packs, I'm ended up with this deck. I don't know how to call it, but I guess I can say it's a morph-based strategy deck.


One of the best card to open in this deck is Embodiment of Spring. That card allows me to get aggresive in a short time. Incremental growth is good for giving a blowout to the opponent. Savage is a pretty nice removal spell, combined with Alpine Grizzly and many big creature in this deck. Awaken the Bear is my most favorite spell, although I don't realize that it gives Trample until after second match.

 Many of the creature in this deck is a morph creature which happened by accident, so I pick as many morph support I can grab as possible, like Secret Plan and Trail of Mistery. But it turned out I never draw the Morph creature and morph support at the same time so I think I have to blame my drafting. There are a lot of good Morph creature that I don't recognize like Wooly Loxodon.

So anyway, I play with Paman in my first match. It's such a shame, even in a different game I'm still playing with the same person I duel against in Yugioh. He played a morph deck as well, but with a better play. I'm still doing a lot of misplay, like not summoning morph creature when I have 3 mana, or simply wasting resources on something fruitless.

One of the worst misplay I had in this game is I don't know what Incremental Growth does. At first glance, I think that it only gives 3 +1/+1 counter on 3 creature, so I think it won't contribute much against the opponent. But only after I lose, my friend tells me that it actually give 3 +1/+1 on one creature, 2 +1/+1 on another creature, and 1 +1/+1 on another creature again. Holy shit I don't know that, so I lose a game I should be able to win.

Second match, I play with Feby. Surprisingly, I can duel on par with him. He used a deck which is played like Bujin in Yugioh. He summons only one creature and buff it up with a lot of spell. I believe it's called Prowess strategy. Anyway, he didn't draw much creature on the first game so I can aggro him and win.

In second game, his combo works perfect and I have a hard time removing his one creature. There are also many oh so disturbing Enchantment like the one who make my creature tapped and have to pay 6 mana to be untapped, or the one who tap my creature whenever he activated noncreature spell. Well, I can't handle all of that so I lose.

Third game, I don't really remember, but it was a pretty tough match. I open with Embodiment of Spring which gives me an edge in Mana source but my creature keep getting controlled by his spell. It was a back and forth game but somehow I win.

On the third match, I fight mas Malik. He used a deck which capitalizing outlast strategy. But he doesn't play seriously at all. He taught me some tips and giving me chance to take back my play. I believe I can be crushed easily if he went serious. Anyway, I still lose the game, but after that mas Malik decided to give me the win. So I finished 2-1 and got 4th position which won me a promo Stoke the Flame and a KTK booster.

Somehow I find myself get addicted with Magic that I feel like I want more. So when Mark, the owner of Two Stompas, asked me to join the second draft, I immediately say yes. This time, I got help from Paman in the drafting process which makes me ended up with this deck.


Paman said it's a good deck and I should be able to win with that but I honestly don't find this deck sinergic at all. It has some of the best removal spells in Arrow Storm, Mardu Charm, and Jeskai Charm, and also a white spell who works like Sakuretsu Armor in Yugioh. But, I don't have strong creature who can give pressure to the opponent.

Moreover, it's a 4-color deck, so I had a lot of time when I can't cast spells in my hand just because I don't have the right color of mana. However, with Paman's help, I'm able to retrieve rare card like Narset and a fetch land, Wooded Foothills. If Paman was not there, I'm surely will pass those cards.

In the first match, I fight agains Madi, who I believe is a veteran in this game. He said he had played this game since 1999 which means he has played for 15 years. As expected, I get crushed. I don't think I was pressuring him at all. In the first game, I got mana screwed. I don't get the right land composition for this 4-color deck so I got help again from Paman to fix the composition. In the second game, it's getting better in mana department but not in the play. I really don't know what to do to counter his play.

Second match, I fight against Patrick, who is an Expat from Phillipines. He used a pretty sinergic deck which I don't remember, lol. But I remember feeling really helpless against him because I draw too much lands and no spell at all. So I lose easily in game 1. Game 2 I feel like I had a chance but somehow I still get crushed.

Third match, I fight against an expat from Phillipines again, whose name I don't remember. Surprisingly I can fight on par with him. It's a long, stretched, and back and forth game. In this game, I found a lot of combat tricks, like attacking to force his spell and cancel it with protection. It was the most fun game I played that night and probably one of the most fun I had in playing card game for a long time.I won in the end, and it was so satisfying.

When I finished the second draft, it was already 2 O'clock in the morning. Two Stompas is such a comfy place that I don't realize time was flying. But I must say, one of the hardest thing to do when you start Magic from Yugioh is to habituate yourself to always untap all of the spells before you begin your turn. Even after playing 6 games, I'm still not used to do that. But it will come naturally as time goes, I believe. Because after the Last Friday Night Magic, I feel like I still want more of it.








Comments

Popular Posts