My First Qliphort Mirror

I got my preordered Qliphort today. I always want to build this deck because of how good the mirror match potential of this deck. Every mirror is decided within less than 2 turns. Everything matters in those 2 turns, whether it's your game decision, your deck build, your ability to bluff, your ability to intimidate, every little thing really matters to win. It's just like the Baby Ruler match, the format I missed because of my hiatus, so I think I can paid it off by using Qliphort. And also, Qliphort is a machine deck (what a stupid reason).

Anyway, I got what I wanted in this afternoon tournament. My first match with my Qliphort is a mirror match, what a fortune. I won the first game convincingly because of having 2 Scouts while my opponent only has 1 MST. The game 2 is pretty meh. I opened with 2 Disks, 1 Shell, Duality, Stormforth, and Spell-Shattering Arrow. My opponent opened with Scout, adding for Saqlifice, summoning Helix then equipping Saqlifice. The time bomb has started.

I got really confused because at first I thought that I can't use my Stormforth since all of the monsters in my hand require 2 tributes. So I use Duality to search for level-6 Qliphort. Right after I activated my Duality I  realized, "Oh shit, I can actually tribute summoned Disk with his Saqlifice-equipped Helix and attack for game." So I made my first misplay.

Then I decided to use Stormforth to summon Shell and activate Disk in the scale to get 300 ATK boost. Then I debated on whether to use the second Disk to further boost Shell's ATK but I calculated the damage and it will still leave my opponent with 400 LP. I decided not to do it and just attack with Shell, dropping his LP to 1000 and end the turn.

Right after I said go, I realized my second misplay, "Holy Shit, I could have dropped his LP to 400 and activate the Shattering Arrow for game." So there you go, two misplay in a row, no third chance for me, I got crushed right after that.

Game 3 I got a super bad hand with 3 Stormforth, 1 MST, and 1 Arrow. I set MST and Arrow for defense and it all got destroyed with my opponent's Night Beam and MST. That was a bad move. I should've just set all of my hand, there is no reason for keeping 3 Stormforth in hand. If I did that, there is still a chance that he won't destroy my defense and I could have a better chance since my next draw is a monster.

So there I have my first mirror. I just realized how good Stormforth of the Monarchs in the Qliphort mirror. If my opponent make a standard Qliphort's first turn (that is activating Scout then summoning the level 6 equipped with Saqlifice), then he will drop his life to 7200. Assuming he doesn't have any attack stopper or summon stopper, I can just use Stormforth, tribute summon for Disk, activate atk-boost scale and attack with 2100 + 2100 + 3100 damage. It's 7300 and it's easily win the game.

I also realized how scary and thrilling a Qliphort mirror can be. It's either OTK-ing or getting OTK-ed. It's like a cowboy's duel where a single blink of an eye can cost you your life. But this is the kind of challenge I always hope, so I won't complain. Hope I can get better as time goes by.

Comments

Popular Posts